In 2018, the Madison County Rural Health Council implemented a Mobility Management program in Madison County. According to the National Center for Mobility Management (NCMM) “mobility management is an approach to designing and delivering transportation services that starts and ends with the customer. It begins with a community vision in which the entire transportation network—public transit, human service agencies, private operators, volunteer drivers, and others—works together with local residents, county planners, and other mobility managers to deliver the transportation options that best meet the community’s needs.”
Our Mobility Manager, Donny Ybarra, recognized a community need for better access to public transportation and implemented a bus token donation program to benefit seniors, families, and anyone without the means to independently purchase tokens. Through a generous network of providers and residents across Madison County, a donation site was set up at the Hamilton Public library as well as options to donate online or via mail. To learn more visit, www.gomadisonny.com.
Mr. Ybarra delivers all donations to Birnie Bus/ Madison Transit System to purchase tokens to distribute out to the community. Contributions help Madison County Residents in numerous ways:
- Token contributions are given to Madison County residents who are unable to purchase tokens because of limited income or other barriers.
- Some token contributions are given to those who may be utilizing the bus system for the first time!
- Donations help support those in Madison County who use the public transportation services for their grocery shopping, medical appointments, employment, and socialization!
This past year, approximately $2,000 was received in donations, and 1,681 bus tokens were provided to Madison County residents. Additionally, 20 organizations received bus tokens to provide to those in need linked to their organizations.
There are there three ways to donate to the Bus Token Program in Madison County:
- Drop off cash or check to the Hamilton Public Library (13 Broad Street, Hamilton, NY 13346).
- Mail a check (not cash) to Mobility Management 2662 State Route East, Unit 1, PO BOX 430 Cazenovia NY 13035.
- If you are contributing by check, please make it payable to Birnie Bus Service, Inc. – Madison Transit System 2486 NY-12B – Hamilton, NY 13346
- Please include a separate note with the Madison Transit System Token Donation Program as the recipient.
- Electronic (PayPal): mcruralhealthcouncil.org